Today, I started backing up a Magento based site that will be moved in coming days. I did a bit of reading around to try to get a feel for what kind of an endeavor this would become.

The process of backing up the database and all web files were quite straight forward (as they should have been).

I decided to attempt the get this version of Magento running on my local dev box using MAMP before setting it on the newer server and repointing the DNS entries. So I imported the database and transfered all Magento files into the web directory.

Following some instructions found in the Magento forums, I modified the /app/etc/local.xml file with the new database settings in my MAMP install.

Then, I changed 2 rows in the core_config_data tables. (more…)